If you love muffins like I do…you are going to love this healthy muffin recipe!
As you may have gathered from my blog…I love to find easy ways to enjoy being healthy. This is a recipe I invented myself to make eating healthy still taste good! These muffins are packed full of fiber, low in sugar, and are full of flavor! Try for yourself, then modify to your desires!
Makes: 18 muffins
prep time:10 minutes
Cook Time : 25 minutes
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup of flax seed
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 overripe bananas
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of butter (you can replace this with another 1/4 cup of applesauce like I do, but I warn your muffins will be a bit dry and less cohesive, yet still just as tasty!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of chopped hazelnuts (You can add any nuts that you desire here, walnuts and pecans work especially well)
- Spices to your liking (I love to add plenty of cinnamon and nutmeg, but just use what you like and have on hand)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and fill two muffin tins with cupcake liners or fat free non stick spray.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax seed, baking soda, and salt; then set them aside. Mash 2 of the bananas with a fork in a small bowl so they still have a bit of texture. With an electric mixer or really determined arms, whip the remaining bananas with the brown sugar together like you mean business,until it creates a dark soupy mixture. Add the applesauce, butter, eggs, vanilla, and spices, and beat well. Pour the mashed bananas and the banana puree mixture in with the dry ingredients set aside earlier. Add nuts. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins to fill them about 3/4 full. Rap the pan on the counter a few time to let any air bubbles escape, and put them in the oven.
Bake until a fork stuck in the muffins comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let them cool for a few minutes before turning the muffins out. Enjoy!
Have you tried a similar recipe? How did it turn out for you? Comment below and let me know!