Lasagna is an all-time American favorite, but with greasy meat and 3 different kinds of cheese, the calorie count on this tasty dish can add up quick. Here is a fun, yet healthy lasagna recipe with a few simple substitutions to make it just as tasty, but a lot better for you!
Serves 8 people
Makes great leftovers!
- 4oz of Lasagna Noodles (Whole wheat if you can find it)
- 1.5 lbs. of ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of each zucchini, eggplant, & mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- Dash of pepper
- 1 jar (320z) of your favorite spaghetti sauce ( I use Prego)
- 1 cup of sliced black olives
- 1 (16oz) container of FAT FREE ricotta cheese (I use Precious)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ lb. of Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Boil your lasagna noodles and cook the ground turkey in a large 12″ pan. Add the onion and garlic to the turkey & let simmer. Cook veggies on medium heat in light olive oil for about 6-7 minutes. Drain noodles when they are completely cooked. Add Seasonings, spaghetti, black olives, and other veggies to the meat and cover. Simmer for 15minutes, letting the flavors mix. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese with egg, and beat together. Preheat oven to 375oF. On the bottom of a 13X 9 baking pan, layer with meat/sauce mixture. Then add 1/3 the lasagna, 1/3 the Ricotta/egg, 1/3 mozzarella, and 1/3 the parmesan. Repeat layering until ingredients are all used. Cover the baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake an additional 20 minutes. Let the dish cool before serving this scrumptious meal!
What do you think of this lasagna recipe? Comment below.