Everyone could use a little time to relax and get away from stressful mainstream life. Meditation is a great way to accomplish this. It is the art of focusing all your attention on one thing and finding peace in your consciousness. It pulls you away from worries, and every day problems, and brings you closer to true happiness.
· A quiet, clean area
· Something soft to sit on
· Candle/ potpourri (optional)
Setting: make sure your area is clean and won’t be disturbed for about 20-30 minutes. You can play soft, non lyrical music, nature sounds, or have complete silence, whichever your preference, and Sit in a comfortable position on a flat surface. This can be on the floor or in a chair.
· Keep your back straight and upright.
· Relax your arms and place your hands in your lap or on your knees.
· Keep your entire body completely relaxed. If you need to, focus on each part of your body from head to toe until everything is completely relaxed.
Next you are going to want to Clear Your Mind. This can be challenging at first, because of how much goes on in our daily lives, but with practice, it should get
· Next, focus on your breathing. Become fully aware of the air moving in and out of your body. Take deep breaths and fill your lungs with air. Relax. Try breathing in through your nose and out your mouth.
· Let your thoughts slip out of your mind. You'll need to be patient with this at the beginning. Try to turn off your inner dialogue. If a thought pops into your head, don't get frustrated, just acknowledge it, and let it pass from your mind.
If Clearing your mind is too difficult, you can try imagining yourself in a calm, relaxing place, such as a under a waterfall, or in a meadow. Try to stick with simple nature images.
Last of all, it is perfectly ok to fall asleep during meditation. Just make sure you are prepared for it in case it happens.
Happy Meditating! ~Healthygirl